Our Annual Picnic
Hello to our website visitors and a big Thank You to everyone that attended the LAST Prowler Picnic and Ol' Timers Reunion on June 25, 2017. It was our 70th anniversary and a fitting finale to this annual event. The weather was perfect, well it was a little warm.
We had attendees from as far as Hawaii to the West and Detroit from the East.
There were about 180 cars. We started the morning with free coffee and donuts. The IDEAS provided fine music while Big Devereau served his tasty barbeque.
All the t-shirts were gone early as are most of the 93 commemorative plaques cast this Spring at Monte Hale's Backyard (there's a piston in every plaque) Foundry! We still owe a couple to folks so if you would like one let us know.
Our club will now reinvent ourselves back into "doing whatever we want" for a change and leave the event planning to promoters who enjoy that stuff!
We are still the unchallenged "oldest hot rod club" continuously corrupting young men since 1947 so please dig in to our webpages and visit the hot rod club that has been there the whole time. See the men, cars and their hobby from post WWII to the present that was the laboratory of power and style that helped shape today’s automobile.
Want to Become a Member?
Are you interested in becoming a member but still have some questions? For more information, use our contact form or just email us. We look forward to hearing from you!
Welcome to our new / updated website.
Questions about the San Diego Prowlers
Are the Prowlers Looking for New Members?
I hear that the San Diego Prowlers are a closed car club and don't want new members. Is that correct?
Absolutely not! We are always looking for new members. Since the Prowlers have been around since 1947, some folks get the feeling that we are an 'exclusive' group of car owners. Well, we are a bunch of 'old farts' to be sure - but we are always looking for a new member. Here is what we look for in a new member:
- Your car must be a finished hot rod. We want to see 'shiny' paint, a finished interior and engine compartment.
- Your car must be a Ford and the vintage must be pre-49...with any make engine (of course!)
- You must be a guy who wants to have fun with your car.
- You must be a guy who can make two meetings each month. (We have lunch meetings at the Ranch House Restaurant on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month).
- You must be a guy.
That's about it. If you are interested, give us a call and you will be invited to a meeting.
We ask all prospective members to declare your intention to join, attend a total of four meetings or club car events so we can get to know you and vice versa. Then the club will vote by secret ballot on you and your car.
Will My Car Qualify as a Prowler Car?
The San Diego Prowlers want members with high-quality, finished cars. That means that your car must run well and look great. Here are some more specifics:
- Paint must be finished and shiny. (We haven't warmed up yet to the 'satin' look)
- A little road rash is tolerated, but remember 'we are the Prowlers' and have a reputation to hold up - we want members who take great pride in their cars so if you are really proud of your car, it's likely going to be OK.
- Engines do not have to be Ford. We'd love to see that, but we have members with Chevys, Fords, heck there has even been a Toyota or two and a VW.
- Car Makes - we are totall rigid on the make of the body of our hot rods. It must be a Ford. And it must be vintage (pre-1949).
If you have questions about your car or our joining requirements, please email Andy Bekech at email@example.com or call Jim Reid at 619-223-4031 and leave a message. These guys will square you away.
Are the Prowlers the oldest hot rod club in America?
Well, likely yes. But it is hard to prove. Many hot rod clubs claim to be as old as the Prowlers (which started in 1947). The question is this, if you started a club back then and stopped meeting for a while - does that make a difference?
The San Diego Prowlers Hot Rod Club, has continually met and been constantly active since 1947. We meet twice each month on the first and third Thursdays. So we guess, its up to you to figure the answer.
We certainly would claim to be one of the oldest (if not the oldest) continuously active hot rod clubs on the planet. But it isn't worth arguing over. We'd rather just fire them up and drive somewhere.